Saturday, May 1, 2010

Kladdkaka - quick, easy and absolutely delicious

May 1st. is celebrated here like a national holiday.  Everyone gets a day off to participate in a parade in support of workers, red flags and all.  We used to do that when I was young, but nowadays few people bother.  Unfortunately May 1st is on a Saturday, so there is no extra holiday, but I'm going to making soaps today, anyway.  And that is at least as much fun, if not more than having a day off.

To celebrate workers everywhere this cake is perfect.  It even comes in red.  It's a Sweedish cake, called Kladdkaka, that is really easy to make, takes no time at all and tastes delicious.  It's supposed to be a bit gooey in the middle, but that can be adjusted according to taste by the baking time.

I originally got a recipe from the newspaper.  I NEVER make anything from recipes in the newspaper (not that there is anything wrong with doing that) BUT this recipe spoke to me so I tore it out and and I made the cake for dessert one day.  The guests really liked it.  So I decided to make it again but discovered that I had lost the recipe.  I sat down at the computer and Googled and found this recipe on a Swedish website and it turned out to be even better that the original one.  The Swedish website has instructions in swedish, but it comes with pictures.  Just in case not everyone understands that language, here it is, with my preferences for serving. It serves 6-8 people.

  • 100 g. butter (3.5 oz.)
  • 2 eggs
  • 2,5 dl sugar (1 cup)
  • 1 tbs vanilla sugar
  • 3 tbs cocoa powder
  • 2 dl flour (just over 3/4 cup)
Heat the oven to 175 C/ 350F


Melt the butter, it's easiest to do it in the microwave on 400W so that the butter doesn't splash all over.  Put that aside to cool a bit.
Whisk the eggs and sugar well
Add the cocoa and vanilla sugar - do this gentry on low speed so it dosn't... you know.
Add the flour and then the melted butter.
Pour it into a heart shaped form (a circular one can be used, but it's not as much fun), put it into the middle of the oven for approx. 20 minutes.

The original instructions say to cool the cake and then serve it.  I put a mixture of strawberries and blueberries over the warm cake, dust it with icing sugar and serve it immediately still in the silicone form with vanilla ice cream and/or whipped cream (no sugar in that).  I just like it better when it's warm.


The photo: This is the easiest cake to bake and everyone loves it. Just put all the ingredients in a bowl, stir and put in a heart shaped form and bake for 20 minutes. Berries and sugar on top, serve with ice cream AND whipping cream.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sombre colours

I bought this fantastic linen yarn on a cone. It was quite fine and I usually like chunky yarns to knit.  But I love linen and this was a...