Thursday, June 3, 2010

Caramel cake - a sweet thing.

This cake was in every birthday party that my mom held for me and my sister when we were kids and I have made it for my daughters birthdays every year.  I've never had anything remotely similar anywhere else and I don't know where the recipe comes from (altough I think it comes from the USA through my aunt).  This is one of the things that I've always meant to ask my mom about.

My younger daughter  just graduated from what would be junior college in the US (the older one is graduating in a few days with a bachelors degree from a school in Switzerland),  we had a "kaffiboð" last weekend:  Closest family members over for coffee and cakes.  The Caramel cake is a nessessity, although I've noticed that some guests eye it with suspicion and don't dare to taste it.  I'm such a lousy hostess that I love that.  Then there is some left over for me at the end of the day!

The cake is very, very sweet.  It really is like candy, so be warned.  This is no healthy treat.  Just a delightfully childish and sinful calorie bomb.

2/3 cups sugar  /150 g. 
2 eggs
Whisk together well and add:


2/3 cups melted butter  /120 g. - 

Combine and then add:

2/3 cups flour  /75 g. flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder

Put in a small (7-9 inch/ ) round baking form. Bake at 175 C / 350 F

Caramel on top:
2 dl cream
1/2 cup sugar  /125 g.
2 tbsp syrup 

Heat in a pot with a thick bottom and stir continuously until it thickens. Test by dropping into a cold glass of water.  When it forms a ball it is ready to pour on the cake.  Decorate with "thousands and thousands" if you like.  Or use something completely different according to taste.  I serve this with whipped unsweetened cream,  but that's just because I like whipped cream a lot.

Bon appetit (once a year is just about right for this sweet thing).


The photo: This is just memories for me: Childhood birthday cakes. The candle holders are a Christmas present from my mother in law and the doilies for the dress are hanging from the branch I have in the living/dining room.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sombre colours

I bought this fantastic linen yarn on a cone. It was quite fine and I usually like chunky yarns to knit.  But I love linen and this was a...