Monday, May 7, 2012

Or you could liquidize - Dandelion coffee


I have found the perfect way to eradicate dandelion from the lawn.  In the past I used a special tool that was sold in Garden centers, but all it did was to guaranty that the root would break and the dandelion would happily continue to grow.  Then I tried that plant hormone stuff, but if that is to work it has to stay dry for a few days and that requires a minor miracle in Iceland in summer, so not much luck there.  But then I figured out that a big shovel or spade is best.

But I don't really dislike dandelion.  It's a wonderful plant, full of vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin D and vitamin B complex, as well as zinc, iron and potassium.  It supposedly can regulate blood sugar levels , is a liver tonic and a diuretic.  Last year I made the dandelion honey from the flowers and recently I tried the dandelion pesto made of the leaves (which contain calcium, magnesium and vitamin K) which was very nice.  But this recipe is probably my favorite.  It's dandelion coffee!  Yes, I was sceptical too.  But it's really surprisingly good and remarkably like coffee, except it doest irritate the stomach and is supposedly good for you.  The taste is nutty and mild, at least with cream added to it.

You need a few roots.  Wash them thoroughly and dry them.   I had some roots that were already dried, so all I had to do was to break them into pieces and roast them.  This I did in the oven for 30 minutes at 200°C / 300°F.  If you need to dry the roots as well as roast them, then you should chop them up into similar sized pieces and put them on a baking tray.  Then they will roast equally.  You don't want to burn the roots, a nice mid to dark brown is what you're aiming for.  Apparently, the more the roots are roasted, the less bitter they taste.  I haven't noticed any bitter taste in mine, although some of them were fairly light in colour.

The washed and chopped roots are put on a baking tray evenly spaced and put into an oven at 120°C / 250°F for 2 hours with the oven door open so that the moisture escapes.  Turn occasionally and keep and eye on the roots for the last half hour to make sure it doesn't burn.  If the colour it too light then raise the heat to 200°C / 300°F and roast until the roots are a nice brown colour.

Let the roots cool before you grind them in a coffee grinder.  Those who do not have one, can use a mortel and pestle to pound the roasted roots, or simply wrap them in a clean dishtowel and whack with a hammer.

I use the coffee just like instant coffee, one teaspoon in a cup and I add coffee-cream.  Some people let the coffee steep for up to 30 minutes and then strain and reheat.  It's just a matter of taste.  Try this, it really is quite good.  Although I have to admit that my husband doesn't like it at all.  But then again, he's in the hospital and I'm not.  So, I just have to say, how many people can say: Oh, I've given up coffee, but can I offer you a cup of Dandelion coffee.  How cool is that.

7 comments:

  1. I've experimented with this, too! I thought it was really good although mine didn't taste much like coffee to me. I have a tray full of dandelion root drying right now for coffee and tincture. Have you ever seen the book Dandelion Celebration? That's what got me interested in dandelions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I have to look it up. I'm on my way to Barnes-and-Noble-land on Saturday and I'll look it up. I don't know about the taste, it's nutty too me and not bitter at all. But it looks like coffee and has the same consistency. I could really get used to this instead of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Give up REAL coffee? Ok. I might try. The dang stuff is getting so expensive and I have lots of free dadelions around the farm...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Спасибо за рецепты из одуванчика! У меня много одуванчиков в саду!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know who I would be without my 2 cups of coffee per day..maybe not such a nice person. I have tried dandelion coffee and really did like the taste although it could never replace a real java for me. Another lovely way to eat dandelion (love love love this 'weed') is to shortly steam the leaves and marinate them in a balsamic vinegar/olive oil/garlic/oregano over night.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had Dandelion Coffee before but I made it with the steeping method. I don't know if it was the dandelion or the method but I wasn't too fond of the drink at all. I'll try your way though before I give up on it though.

    Have you tried Chicory coffee before? That's my absolute favourite :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chicory coffee! No, I haven't tried that. It doesn't grow here. But it does sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Sombre colours

I bought this fantastic linen yarn on a cone. It was quite fine and I usually like chunky yarns to knit.  But I love linen and this was a...