Rose and Orange Blossom Cream
So, like scratching an itch, I immediately dove into my cupboards to dig out the cream making stuff. I resisted the strong urge to add everything but the kitchen sink and chose just one additive, Allantoin, which is a nature identical substance that is derived from the roots & leaves of the Comfrey plant. I love Comfrey and grow it in my garden. It has loads of medicinal benefits, mostly due to that wonderful substance. I have tons of other stuff, but the appeal of the Rose face cream was it's simplicity, so I restricted my use of ingredients this time.
Being, of course, completely unable to follow other peoples directions, my recipe is different from hers, but I started out with the same proportions as she did: About 20% oils, 6% emulsion wax and 74% water phase. The proportions changed as I weighed my ingredients because I didn't have as much of as I wanted of the Rose water, but I improvised and added the Orange Blossom water and selected my favorite (at the moment) oils and other ingredients.
The exact recipe (as far as I remembered right after I made it (my process tends to be very organic, I use whatever strikes my fancy at the moment I make things)) is as follows:
Argan oil 22 g / 0.77 oz
Borage oil 10 g / 0.35 oz
Evening primrose 8 g / 0.28 oz
Peach oil 6 g / 0.21 oz
Lanolin 4 g / 0.14 oz
Oils total: 50 g / 1.76 oz
Emulsion: I used CreamMaker wax from Making Cosmetics 15 g 0.53 oz
Rose water 30 g (that was all I had) / 1 oz
Orange Blossom water 90 g / 3 oz
Glycerin 10 g /0.35 oz
Water 20 g / 7 oz
Allantoin (from Making Cosmetics) 2 g / 0.07 oz
Water total: 152 g. / 5.3 oz
Preservative: Potassium Sorbate 1 g / 0.035 oz
I knew I wanted the oil phase to be mostly Argan oil. It's simply lovely on the face as well as the hair. And then I found the Borage oil and Evening Primrose, both of which are very nice. I wanted to add Lanolin since I'm not allergic to it and it's just the best softening ingredient for the skin. This much I know from spinning raw wool. I just love the way my hands get all soft from the Lanolin in the wool. The Peach oil I used to fill up the quantity.
I dug out the rest of the Rose water I knew I still had from the Italy visit and weighed it, only to be slightly disappointed there wasn't more of it. But I quickly decided to use Orange Blossom water since I love that scent and I had some sine my last time in Paris. And I wanted to use Glycerin. I like that as a humectant. And then I filled up with water so the scent would't be overpowering. I didn't have any beetroot powder, but I had beetroot, so I cut of a small sliver and put it in the water phase along with the allantoin and the preservative.
Then I heated both the oils and the water up in a water bath and whizzed it together using a stick blender. I added quite a bit of Rose Maroc essential oil which I had in a diluted form (5% with coconut oil) and a little bit of Neroli oil until I liked the combination of the two scents.
I now have several weeks supply of the loveliest light and airy pink face cream which I put into the two wonderful Onix cream jars my little sister gave me for Christmas. They have been begging for something luxurious and this cream just fits the bill. I put the rest into two small metal jars and three plastic pump dispensers ready to go to the gym with me.
And now I really want to make a soap to go with that cream. Since I almost used all my Rose Maroc oil I guess I'll use some Rose Geranium or maybe Rosewood. And since it begs to be pink, it would need to have Rhubarb root oil...