Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The last of the Special Blends

I can't believe that I forgot this one.  The last of my Special Blend soaps that I made for Christmas.  I never got round to doing the blue.  I had intended that for my mom, with some sort of a fresh blend of oils (I'm sure I wrote that down somewhere) and Shea butter.

But back to this one.  I had to do a pink soap for Christmas and used... Yes Rumex oil.  I do love the stuff.  But as all my Special Blends, this one had to have that one different ingredient and I found Lanolin.  Lanolin is wonderful stuff.  It is the oil that is on sheep's wool, so it couldn't be more local.  We have more sheep than people here and I love them.

I know that some people are allergic to Lanolin, but for the rest of us, it's a wonderful moisturizer.  So I used a bit in this soap.  I haven't tried it.  I can't believe that I admit that, but I have so many soaps to try.  I was thinking that I should start to pick out my all time favorite soaps.  I still remember the ones I particularly like and it would undoubtedly be interesting to see if there is a common denominator.  I have a feeling about he recipes that I live, but I use so many different one that I should do this in a more scientific way.  But back to the Rosewood Special Blend.  Because it had to be rose something and I can't use pure rose oil, it's just too expensive so I thought Rosewood would be nice.  The recipe was:

Olive oil  40% - 200g / 7 oz.
Coconut oil 30% - 150g / 5.3 oz.
Cocoa butter 15% - 75g / 2.6 oz.
Rapeseed oil 10% - 50g / 1.8 oz.
Lanolin 5% - 25g / 0.9 oz.


I used about 25 g. of Rumex oil.  Part of that was deducted from the Olive oil, but 5 g. were extra.  I guess I thought is wouldn't be dark enough, so the recipe really should be for 5 g. more of Olive oil.  But anyway, I also used both silk and sugar in the water.  

As the picture shows, the soap seized on me and the soap has that characteristic look of being pushed and shoved into the mold.  The scent was a nice blend of Rosewood, Sandalwood Amirys, Bensoin, Ylang Ylang.  It's quite nice, not oppressive at all but rather mild and feminine.  I actually am glad that I haven't tried it yet.  I have something to look forward to this spring.  I can't wait for spring.  This winter has been dark and oppressive and I want more light.  It's getting better.  I can always tell by my Ficus benjamin a who always has a tantrum at this time of the year, just before it starts to get light again, it's leaves turn yellow and trow themselves on the floor.  I feel the same, but I know from years of experience that just as the two of us are about to give up, the sun reappears and spring will be here eventually.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sombre colours

I bought this fantastic linen yarn on a cone. It was quite fine and I usually like chunky yarns to knit.  But I love linen and this was a...